The indispensable part of kitchens is countertops. The countertop is vital. First of all, it should be useful and functional. Then it should be decorative. Even the most crucial criterion for kitchen decoration is the kitchen counter. Since there is nothing that can be changed at any time, you should choose the right kitchen counter when buying or renewing. Therefore, we have prepared an article about what you need to consider when choosing a kitchen countertop.
In this article, you will find information in the following titles before starting to examine the features of countertops.
- Description of many different types of countertops
- How to use
- Sample countertop photos
- Advantages and disadvantages of countertops
- Considerations when choosing a countertop
Countertops can only be defined by differentiating them according to their material types. It varies according to the primary material. According to the main material selection, it is also diversified in subtitles according to the form, color, and surface treatments. For better understanding, we thought it would be more useful to open the heading according to the leading material name and to include information about the types.
Granite is a natural type of stone. It is a relative of the marble. It is more durable and suitable for surface treatments. There are many color options, and it can appeal to almost any decoration style.
- It is durable and long lasting.
- It is stylish and bright looking.
- It is suitable for all kinds of decoration styles with its natural appearance.
- It increases the sales value of the houses.
- It can be found in many patterns and colors.
- Has unique patterns
- It has a high cost.
- Although it is long-lasting, it requires regular polishing.
- If the regular polish is not applied, spotting may begin on the surface.
- It is porous. It can contain bacteria.
Quartz countertops are the type of countertops formed by the combination of various materials. It is often mixed with granite countertops. Because, while preparing, waste granite powders are also included. This allows it to acquire a natural material look. Quartz structures are among the essential countertop products to get a stylish look in your kitchen. Ideal for the kitchen, these countertops are easy to clean. Therefore, its use is becoming more and more common. Quartz is among the hardest minerals in the world. It is costly with this feature, but only 10% of today’s quartz countertops are found only in quartz.
- It is effortless to clean.
- It has many patterns and colors.
- It is very durable.
- It is more hygienic because it is non-porous.
- Natural appearance may not be available in all manufacturers.
- There will be a severe price difference according to production quality.
Stainless steel countertops are especially preferred in restaurant kitchens. It is resistant to heat and is an easy to clean bench type. It is now preferred in modern kitchens. It takes its place in the kitchens as a countertop type suitable for the built-in kitchen concept. It is a kind of bench that we cannot see in almost everyone’s home.
- Easy to clean.
- It is resistant to heat.
- It is a fully compatible countertop type of industrial or extra modern decorations.
- It does not stain.
- The cost is high.
- An industrial appearance is not suitable for kitchens in today’s conditions.
- Its surface can be easily scratched.
- Collapse may occur on large surface areas.
- It makes a loud noise during use.
Wooden countertops come as a different alternative to granite and quartz countertops. You can get a vibrant look while the warmth of the wood surrounds your kitchen. You can create a unique countertop with both the natural woods, waterways, and patterns of the forest and the color you will paint. It will be an excellent choice in terms of design. Also, You can make countertops from many different types of wood. It is entirely up to your imagination. But two distinct types can be distinguished. While you can create your workbench with a solid wood log, you can also work with laminated wood boards. Even if your kitchen is new and modern, the countertop made of 100-year-old wood will still look beautiful.
- Compared to all other countertop types, the wooden countertop has a natural look.
- It is more durable than laminate or old-style tiles.
- Since the colour option is personal, it can be adapted to any design.
- The cost will be very variable depending on the production method.
- It requires regular maintenance.
- Its use requires attention.
- It can easily be damaged by excessive moisture.
- Bright coloured liquids can leave marks.
- It can trace in contact with heat.
You can use soapstone countertops to get a very different look in your kitchen. It is the best option for a stylish and modern decoration. With its luxurious appearance, it will provide a much more pleasant fit, especially in large kitchens. This material, which is a dark grey, silky, soft stone, can be preferred as an alternative to granite. It is a kind of countertop that has more advantages than granite, quartz, and marble countertops. For this reason, do not ignore the soapstone countertop type while doing research for ideas to choose when buying countertops.
- It is the most durable among natural stone countertops.
- It is unique and personal because a soapstone countertop will have no other counterpart.
- There is no need to worry about a pot that you remove from the flame of the stove and put it on the counter.
- Because they are non-porous, they never absorb liquid.
- Thanks to its 100% non-porous structure. You do not need to worry about microbes and bacteria.
- It is an entirely organic material.
- It is possible to remove with sandpaper in case of scratches.
- They are soft natural stone countertops.
- Easy to draw. But it is easy to fix.
- If you want to keep the natural silky texture of the counter continuously, you will need to do regular maintenance with mineral oil.
- Although it is unique thanks to the veined structure of the stone, it is not so generous in color choice.
- More expensive than granite.
We are not very used to concrete counters in our kitchens. Indeed, there is such a kind of countertop, and we are in favor that it will be suitable for those who are going to buy or renew a countertop to think of making a concrete countertop. But we should also mention that it will not fit every house. You can find the details in the list below.
- With surface treatments such as painting and polishing, it will look much more decorative and adapt to the environment.
- Since it will be molded to the extent you wish, you can own the workbench with your dream or precisely as you need it.
- It is undoubtedly durable.
- Any damage that occurs is easy to remove.
- It has a low maintenance cost and requirement.
- It is not cheap, and you have to find a master to do it.
- Just because they’re too hard doesn’t mean that nothing will happen. Sturdy objects can break more quickly
When it comes to countertops, it is tough to get a new one or to renew it. Because it is not something that can be changed every year, you should also know that you bought one of the comfortable and bright benches and will not stay the same for years. Especially if this countertop is marble, unfortunately, it is not the type that can last for years. However, it is a kind of kitchen counter that many people prefer and appreciate among other types of countertops by being caught in appearance and attraction. As a result, marble countertops do not have many advantages compared to other countertops. Namely;
- Even if they are correctly looked after and used, they are doomed to aging.
- Polishing is required frequently, which is extra costly because it is not easy to make.
- It can be fragile.
- Quickly stains.
- It is not heat resistant.
- Yellowing occurs.
- Abrasions and scratches occur quickly.
Most Preferred Countertops
The types of countertops that we have mentioned so far in the kitchen counter types guide are the most popular and sold countertops. In short, we will gather the most preferred ones under one title.
Although granite is not as durable as quartz, it stands out with its naturalness in terms of appearance. It has a unique feature thanks to its natural patterns.
Wooden counters are also frequently used in large kitchens in the middle area. Because it has a smooth surface and provides ease of use, it is preferred for those who want to reflect the rustic decoration style in their homes.
The choice of those who want to have a unique countertop is soapstone, stainless steel, and finally marble countertops. Mainly because of its many advantages, soapstone can be called the best bench by far. It is a kind of countertop preferred by those who want to create an industrial environment from their homes in stainless steel workbenches.
As a result, the most preferred countertop types;
- Granite countertop
- Quartz countertop
- Soapstone countertop
- Stainless bench
- Marble countertop
Other Types of Countertops
We tried to detail the features, pros, and cons of the most preferred kitchen counters in the market. In the continuation of our countertop preference guide, we would like to give you more information about a few other countertops.
You can turn to glass kitchen counter designs to create completely different concepts in your kitchens. It creates a stylish decoration. These models, which are very advantageous in decorations, are among the design features of the future. It creates an in-depth and modern look in your kitchens. Besides being resistant to heat, It is easy to clean. It does not stain. Anesthetic and unusual appearance can be achieved. However, it is possible to leave fingerprints more than the type of glass. It will not be resistant to scratches.
Developing technological features provide more elegant and modern counter options than new materials. One of them is bio-glass countertops. It is an ideal choice for those who want to make a difference in kitchen decorations. It is preferred with its elegant appearance. You can try extraordinary styles with different color options. These worktops made of glass have a translucent appearance. It has an aesthetic appearance. Different color options are available. Yet, it is not easy to repair in case of cracking. The blades are dulled due to cutting on them. It is extra sensitive to stain and heat.
It is an excellent option for those who are looking for something different. The benches of our houses were covered with tiles and ceramics. But what happened later was somehow left. There was even a speedy transition period. The necessities of the past appear as different decoration ideas of the present.
When it comes to the colors of ceramic countertops, the possibilities are limited. You may have taken a serious step towards reflecting your personality to your home decoration with both the patterns and colors of the ceramics you will be covered on the counter.
The most crucial advantage of ceramic countertops is the number of color and pattern options and almost unlimited. The most significant disadvantage is that there is a surface consisting of parts and a filling between each piece. It needs to be cleaned frequently.
Corian countertops are exactly chemical production. It occurs as a result of the solidification of completely liquid materials. It consists of 33% binding resins and 66% minerals in its mixture. It also resists up to 212 degrees. It consists of mixing the desired color pigments into the adhesive for coloring. Corian kitchen counters are generally very generous in color options.
- A wide range of colors and patterns are available.
- Price/performance is the kitchen counter.
- It is hygienic. It is easy to clean.
- With its non-porous structure, no bacterial growth is possible.
- You can make edge detail molding in style suitable for your decoration.
- It doesn’t crack.
- It is sensitive to scratching.
- Over time, liquids are likely to leave stains on the surface.
- Since the mains water is calcareous, it may leave stains.
- Get used to the movement of wet and soapy dishes on the surface!
It is a new generation’s natural stone kitchen counter. There will be those who have heard of your name. As I mentioned above, you will mix it with a quartz kitchen counter, and even if you have written the same, you will skip this part. If you are an earnest buyer, you should also read the information we will give about the quartzite countertops.
What is Quartzite Countertops?
We all know very well what marble and granite countertops are. Here is another and new generation mine that looks like marble and granite on the quartzite countertop. Quartzite is exactly a metamorphic rock mass made up of sandstone. That is a rock that has been displaced by the pressure that is created by the displacement of the earth’s crust and reached a height that can be excavated and exposed. Marble is also this type of rock, but it is made of limestone. Granite is a magmatic rock. That is, it crystallized from molten lava and solidified over time.
Quartzite is a sturdy rock that does not dissolve in water or acid. So it is tough. That’s why quartzite to be the reason for preference. It can also be called a bulletproof countertop. Acid foods have no harm to the counter. The worst part of the quartzite countertop is that it is difficult to find a pure quartzite countertop as it is not very common.
How to Choose Countertops?
As we mentioned at the very beginning of my guide, kitchen counters are the heart of our kitchens. Imagine a kitchen without a countertop? The kitchen without a countertop is not a kitchen anyway. Just having a bench is not enough. The court needs to meet specific criteria. The more positive aspects, the more costly it is obvious. So, first and golden rule of choice of countertop, firstly, you need to learn what kind of countertop you can get with the budget you need according to the size you need. So what are the other criteria:
- Kitchen type
- Required countertop dimensions
- Labor costs
- Profile structure of the countertop
- Material type of the countertop
When you evaluate the main criteria, you choose the most suitable kitchen counter for yourself and your kitchen.
Things To Consider When Choosing A Countertop
The most preferred kitchen types are granite, marble, and quartz. Wide distribution area and experienced masters are effective in preferring these materials.
Granite countertops can provide aesthetic integrity in large and showy kitchens. You can get a modern decoration in your homes with its natural appearance and stylish stance.
For the small ones, quartz countertops can be preferred with their stance and color harmony. Quartz products are healthier.
Also, if you include it in the existing kitchen decoration during the selection of countertops, the color option is significant. If you want to have a more affordable and cheaper choice and have the opportunity to supply the color and pattern you want, you can go to the laminate counter option. If you can increase the budget a little more, you can choose Corian countertops in another option, which is more robust than laminate countertops but more expensive.
In short, other main points to consider when choosing a countertop:
- The value adds to your home
Stay tuned to the “Indoor” category for more decoration ideas like “Types of Countertops”